Warung Online

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Food: Shawarma To The World

(click to enlarge)
I took this BB pic in Al Satwa Road, Dubai.. I bought two pieces for me and my wife before heading straight home from work. I just love to eat one, which for me, best eaten while its hot and surely it can satisfy your hunger for just 4 Dirhams. This is good for those who are always on the go.

I have tried shawarma in the Philippines but its not as good as what I have tasted here in Dubai. I have been eating delicious shawarma for almost 5 years now. Lol!

It is usually made of chicken, beef or mutton meat (goat) alternately stacked on a stick, cooked and grilled in a vertical rotating spit like the one above. Mixed with sliced cabbage or lettuce, potato fries and a white sauce, it will be filled into a small round pocket Arabic bread called "pita" "khubz" (read as kubos) and sided with pickled vegetables.

Shawarma is one of the Middle Eastern foods that gained worldwide popularity.
(click to enlarge)

Did you know: that the Arabic word shawarma comes from the Turkish word çevirme [tʃeviɾˈme] 'turning', and has its origins in Anatolia? And tha it is similar to the dish called döner kebab 'turning kebab' in Turkish, and the Greek gyros 'turned', formerly called ντονέρ /doˈner/? Source: wikipedia.org


0 comments em “Food: Shawarma To The World”

Post a Comment

 

Blackberry Mania Copyright © 2012 Fast Loading -- Powered by Blogger